ASTM C172 – Sampling Fresh Concrete
This method of testing can be used on any type of concrete–lightweight, regular weight or heavy weight. Sieve aggregate that would be retained on a 1-1/2″ sieve over a 1″ sieve.
- Sampling, according to ASTM standards, must be done in intervals from the middle portion of the batch of concrete. If sampling from a stationary mixer, revolving drum mixer (i.e. mixer truck) or agitator, or a continuous mixer, then two or more samples must be taken at regularly spaced intervals from the middle of the batch and mixed together for your official sample. If sampling from a paving mixer, then sampling must be taken from at least five different portions of the pile after the contents have been completely discharged, then combined and mixed.
No sampling can be taken from the first 10 percent or last 10 percent of the load. Here are some additional important guidelines.
- – Sample must be taken by either passing a receptacle completely through the discharge stream, or by completely diverting the discharge stream into a sample container
- – The receptacle or sample container must be dampened
- – 15 min. time limit between grabbing the first and final portions of samples for your composite sample
- – Composite sample must be at least 1 cubic foot of concrete
- – Start slump, temperature and air content tests within 5 min. after obtaining your final portion of the composite sample
- – Start molding strength specimens within 15 minutes after obtaining the composite sample
- – When sampling from a revolving drum truck mixer, sample only after all water and admixtures have been added to the batch and uniformly mixed in
For the performance part of the ACI test, you will be required to recite the answers to the following questions the instructor will ask you. The answers you are to study and memorize are written in bold.
Taken from the “Alternate Oral Exam” from the ACI Technician Workbook CP-1. – All of the water must be added to
- What must occur before a sample of concrete can be taken from a revolving drum mixer?
The mixer – Repeatedly pass a receptacle through the entire discharge stream – Completely divert the discharge
- Describe the different procedures that can be used to collect a sample of concrete from a stationary or revolving drum mixer